Andrea Hirata is an Indonesian novelist. His debut novel The Rainbow Troops (known as Laskar Pelangi in Indonesia) shattered national sales records, making him the best selling author in Indonesia to date, reached over 5 millions readers, and contributed significantly to the development of modern Indonesian literature.
The Rainbow Troops, set on Belitong Island, Indonesia, tells the story of a tight-knit group of students and their teachers fighting for education and dignity, even as they face continual hardship. Fabulously rich in natural resources, Belitong is also home to chronic poverty and educational discrimination. This amazing story tells of a persistent young teacher and her tireless efforts to fight for her ten students' right to an education. Together, they take the reader on a journey through the beauty of childhood friendship, the inspiration of love, and the power of education. The students' magnetic personalities and unflagging determination are sure to inspire.
This inspirational novel is the first book in The Rainbow Troops Quartet. Sang Pemimpi (The Dreamer), Edensor, and Maryamah Karpov are the other three books in the series.
The Rainbow Troops was adapted for the big screen. It has found success not only in Indonesia, but also worldwide, it received awards and recognition including:
- Berlin International Film Festival (screened in Panorama), 2009
- Golden Butterfly Award, 23rd International Children & Young Adults Film Festival, Iran, 2009
- 3rd Place Audience Award, 11th Udine Far East International Film, 2009
- SIGNIS Award, Hong Kong International Film Festival, 2009
- Best Film, Bandung Film Festival, 2009
- Best Film, Indonesian Film Festival, 2009 , Nomination for Best Film, Asian Film Awards, 2009
- Best Film, CINEPANZ Award, 20th Children Film Festival Cologne, Germany
Andrea Hirata Seman adalah si Ikal yang diceritakan dalam buku tetralogi buku Laskar Pelangi. Ia berpendidikan S1 dari Universitas Indonesia dan S2 dari Sheffield Hallam University (SHU), Inggris. Ia sempat melakukan riset di Universit de Paris, Sorbonne, Prancis dan risetnya itu, yang juga dikisahkan dalam buku ini, mendapat penghargaan khusus dari SHU. Hasil riset tersebut telah ditulis Andrea dalam buku berbahasa Inggris dan telah diterjemahkan ke dalam bahasa Indonesia. Andrea lahir di Belitong dan sampai saat ini masih bekerja di kantor pusat PT Telkom di Bandung.